Homeless with a Gym Membership

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Part II

So where was I? Oh, that's right, I was in the parking lot at the airport running for the shuttle. And because of the difficult parking situation I was running late for my flight. I also know from past experience if you buy a ticket within hours of departure you are more apt to be flagged by homeland security to go through extra security. And did I mention I still had to go to the ticket counter because the ticket was bought in such short notice I was not able to print out an e-ticket?

I arrive in the ticketing area and the line reflects the amount of cars in all of the parking lots combined. There is nothing much I can do if I miss the flight so at this point I decide to take a few deep breaths and calm down. After a 25 minute wait it is finally my turn. I go up to the counter and I am informed that (once again) because the ticket was purchased in such short notice the only way my company's card can be used is if I have it present or the boss goes to O'Hare to purchase the ticket. Neither of these choices are an option and not being told this prior to purchasing the ticket online the transaction has already occurred. Now, I have to use my own card and the ticketing agent has to make a call to have the charges transferred from the company's card to mine. Again...waiting.

Once I have my ticket in hand I again find myself running a full on sprint through the airport. Thank God I've gotten back in shape. I stop only once to check the departure boards just to make sure my energy is not being spent in vain...the flight is running on time.

I arrive at the gate hot and sweating. I feel completely disheveled. Is it possible that just two and a half hours ago I was at work thinking about the weekend? And more specifically, thinking about what I was going to wear Friday night when I go out with a friend and her boyfriend and her boyfriend's friend. Yep, I had a date Friday... with a Las Vegas firefighter. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a rain check.

At the gate a United Airlines gate attendant gets on the crackling intercom system. It's very hard to hear through the crackle of the intercom and the noise of many travelers gathered in one place and the beep beep beep of the airline carts that speed around like there is some major emergency but there never seems to be anyone riding on them and she announces...the flight is delayed.



To be continued...


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jen. Just a word to let you know I'm still reading your blog and loving every word. So sorry about the airport thing/Chicago trip. Lord knows I've been there and share your pain!

Keep writing, even if it's once or twice a month. You won't be sorry and neither will we.

Aunt Kathy

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home